"Final comment" could also be called "a conclusion", but
- we also call the paragraph "a conclusion"
- the last part of non-academic essays is not always a conclusion - for example, sometimes it is a quote.
- So, I call this part the "final comment" to avoid confusion
FOr first year essays
Final comments for your essays should be PRACTICAL
i.e. actions that people in Japan can take.
I recommend you stick to
- shoudl donate
- should volunteer
- shoudl write a protest letter to
- should buy
- shoudl stop buying
Final comments are also SPECIFIC.
- Don't just tell me to donate. Tell me WHO to donate to. Give me the donation link.
- Don't tell me buy Fairtrade. Tell me where I can get it online/in Tokyo/ on Campus
FInal comments should be aimed at the READER
The reader is a student in Japan, so try "Japanese students / People in Japan / Students in Soka University... who want to help should"
- Don't use "The Japanese government should" or "Convenience stores should"
- Instead say that "People who want to help should write to their local politician / Lawson head office and demand that"
|Transition phrase || Recommendation, prediction, decision, plan or implication|
|In conclusion, ||we should|
|To conclude, ||the United Nations needs to|
|The conclusion that can be drawn is that |
|THe principle conclusion is that |
|For these reasons, ||the Japanese government should|
|For these three reason, ||X needs to be done immediately.|
|As a result |
|Because of this, ||we have to|
|Because of these issues, ||the most likely next step is to X|
|This data indicates that, |
|IN light of the above, |
All this lends support to the notion that
|All in all, this suggests that ||X is the most appropriate choice.|
|What this means is that, ||X is the most important.|
|As a consequence, ||the following steps are suggested: 1,2,3|
|As such, the balance of evidence suggests that ||it is likely that X will happen|
|This implies that if we do nothing about the problems outlined above, ||then X will happen.|
CAUSE EFFECT signals
- If you use cause and effect "transition" like "As a result":
- It must come JUST AFTER a summary of your evidence
- e.g. "In summary..... As a result of these points, it is recommended that".
- For more: write a cause-effect sentence
iBT TOEFL independent essays
Final Comment is often a "choice" or personal decision
- I can understand why some people do X. However, I will do Y
- Next year, I will
- In the future, I will try harder to X
- Next, I hope to
Sports News article
- Information on next game
- Quote from someone (player/coach)
The end product
- "In the end, you now have a tray of tasty, healthy, low-fat muffins"
- "In conclusion, the PET is ready to make new bottles"
A comment on the process
- "The process - preparing, creating, and decorating - took 2 hours"
A reminder, or warning about an important step
- Remember not to eat them before they are cool!
- Don't forget...
Not every paragraph or section gets a final comment. For example in a dissertation, you would expect a final comment
- At the end of the introduction and literature review, giving decisions made about research methods or questions
- SEVERAL in the discussion chapter, giving implications of the study, what to do in future research, what not to do, etc.
Where there is no final comment, you still need to write a paragraph summary-link